Thursday, May 22, 2008

Journal!(Kuan Wei)

When the seniors told me that IN3D was going to be tough, I didn't expect it to be so tough! Whenever I watch 3D animation, I always thought that character modeling was something simple. But after experiencing it first hand myself, I got to admit, its pretty tough and time consuming. *Learns to appreciate the effort of 3D modellers* But having said that IN3D is tough, I am not complaining. I am actually loving IN3D! Personally I find it fun, interesting and challenging. Lets hope I can work in this field in the future.

Also, I feel that being good in Maya is something very important. Maya is a high-end 3D computer graphics and 3D modeling software and is widely used in the film and TV industry as well as in computer and video games. Therefore Maya will definitely be useful as a game developer next time.

Over the past few weeks in IN3D, I have learnt a lot of things. From not even knowing how to rotate the model, to things like NURBS, extruding, smoothing and UVs. From modeling a simple robot to modeling a cute lego man! Wow, it seems I have come a long way. Nah, I am sure all these are just the basics of Maya. I feel that two of the most important things I have learnt so far would be extruding and image planes. Not sure how to explain why is extruding important, I am sure everyone knows why extruding is important deep down in their heart. With image planes, we are able to construct our models accurately based on an image instead of having to estimate everything. This would definitely help to speed up the time needed to construct something.

As for the assignment, I find modeling a city very interesting. On first glance, it might seem really easy compared to the seniors' project(model a character). But there are a lot of things to consider when modeling a city. The layout of the city, the design of the buildings, the perspective, the aesthetics etc. So many things to consider! Lets hope my city would turn out looking like a city.

One of the biggest problems I have is the lack of creativity as well as my inability to draw. I am not a creative person and I can't draw for nuts ): So it would be tough coming up with awesome designs for my building. Also, I think one of the biggest challenge would be to create something to look exactly like what I have in mind. I guess I will have to work on these aspects in order to be able to carve out a career in 3D Modeling.

Overall, I feel that the key to doing well in 3D Modeling would be to practise practise and practise!

Oh, and thank you Mr Douglas for teaching us so many neat tricks.


-Kuan Wei

No comments: