Sunday, May 11, 2008

MAYA Days (Mock/Terrence)

After 3 Weeks of Maya, I've learnt how to create and manipulate a 3d object (such as extrude, bevel, setting pivot points, etc) as well as animating the objects.

The class started off with the robot creation, where I must create different shapes, joining them together to create a robot figure. It's the most simple task in Maya now, but during the 1st lesson, it seemed Hell to me.
From the lesson, I've learnt the difference between NURBS and polygon objects and which to use for certain situation. Also, it is important to use the X, Y, Z axis to move and rotate objects so that they won't move out of point. Lastly, I learnt the different shortcut keys to ease future creations.

The 1st lesson is very interesting, but the further lessons just got tougher and tougher, but I will try to do well. Yeah~

Moving on to the CowHead Creation. In this lesson, I have learnt how to extrude and the danger of extrusion. Extrude means to create a new face on the selected faces, so that we can use the new face to move, rotate or scale to create the CowHead. Another skill I've learnt is Bevelling and Smoothing, this makes rougher surfaces such as areas around the eyes and nose smoother and more realistic.
Extrusion is useful when different scales of faces needs to be created but at the same time connected to one another. (Eg. Face of Legoman on Week 5).
All the previous lessons on MAYA have help greatly for my city Assignment.

I've encountered many problems when working on MAYA and the recommended Book (Learning Autodesk MAYA 2008) and some websites(www.the-area.com, www.highend3d.com) have helped a lot in solving them.

With the proficiency in both MAYA and programming, it will definitely give me an upper hand in finding jobs in future.

-Mock/ Terrence

No comments: