Thursday, August 7, 2008

IN3D Journal 2 (Kuan Wei)

Wow, time passes really fast, and after 5pm today, IN3D has more or less come to an end.

After a few nights of going without sleep, I am finally done with my IN3D Assignment 2! Although its quite tiring and VERY tough, I felt that it was worth it as the assignment was very interesting and taught me a lot. Having to model, animate and make sure that it looks realistic sure was tough. I encountered many problems when I was doing the assignment (some stupid mistakes too).

One of my biggest problem would have to be the timing of the whole animation. Its important that we make the timing just right (not too fast/not too slow) so that the animation looks good. I feel that I have not done particularly well in this area as my animation is too fast at the start and at the end, making my animation look unrealistic.

The second problem would be rendering. My laptop is unable to render the scene at all, causing lots of frustrations. Although it might show that the rendering is completed, the avi file would always be an empty file that cannot be opened. No matter what settings I used, it just doesn't render, causing a huge headache and a last minute panic.

The third problem would be animating the floursack and the legoman realistically. It might look very easy to outsiders, it is actually really difficult. Making the objects feel alive is even tougher! I feel that if I had more time, I could have made it better.

I guess the most important lesson learnt would be ANIMATION IS NOT AS EASY AS IT SEEMS! Last time, when I used to watch animations/cartoons, I used to think that it is not that difficult to model something like tt. However, having experience this first hand now, I seriously applaud and salute the animators. My animation is only 20 seconds and it is already so tough, imagine the effort put in when they model a movie! Wow!

Woooo maya rocks. 3D Modeling!!!

No comments: