Thursday, August 7, 2008

Yeu Wing's IN3D Journal 2

Finally done with IN3D assignment 2. Time has a habit of speeding up when deadlines draw closer. Stress and panic builds up, and I find myself without sleep yet again for an assignment submission. Yet, I found the assignment interesting and educational. It was a tough assignment to do, animation. Many things hindered my progress (and some out of my control), but I managed to complete it in the end.

Firstly, the problems I encountered. Animating a realistic floursack was very difficult, and to reproduce human actions in the floursack was a daunting task. I had to watch many videos of soccer players plying their trade to get the movement right, and even then, it STILL doesn't look right.

The second problem encountered was the render tool (or my computer?). My computer refused to render the scene properly no matter how many times I tried. I checked and rechecked the settings with fellow classmates and found myself stumped as to why my computer refused to render. I had to use a friend's computer in the end, and I managed to render what I wanted.

Now, the things that I have learnt in IN3D. Animating look easy, but it certainly isn't. It is incredibly difficult to animate realistic movements and make objects feel sentient and alive, or move at the right speed, and I have much to learn. Also, I've learnt that the Graph Editor is a SUPER important tool in animating as it helps to weed out little niggles in the animation that would cause the animation to look weird. I've also learnt that scripts make life a hell of a lot easier, provided you know how to use them.

Finally, I'd like to give my thanks to tutor Mr. Douglas for being awesome with Maya. Cheerios~

WING.

No comments: